Jan 12, 2006

Blessed Beyond Measure


Children of God living in an affluent society often take it for granted that He provides a bountiful supply of all our temporal needs. How often does our Christian brothers and sisters living in third world nations wake up to such an abundance of blessings! Do we consider those in the world who don't even have the basic needs of life such as food, clothing, and the ability to care for their children?

Perhaps we have become insensitive to a suffering world because we compare ourselves to the Jones family next door. Mr Jones has a nice home, two cars, and a motorhome just like me, so I'm not rich, just an average ol' Joe. I doubt that God shares this opinion.

We view television programs detailing the misery and famine in some foreign nation then during the commercial launch an all-out attack on the fridge for Cherry Chocolate Bon Bons without a second thought of those dying of hunger? If your guilty, join the boat, I'll be on the front seat.

As Gods' children we are blessed beyond measure, and need to keep the less fortunate in our prayers, but praying and thinking about the problems is not the ultimate answer; we need to ACT. What are we (as children of God) doing to help those in need around the world? If your like me your probably not doing enough. If you want to help some homeless children, please contact the Lifeline of Hope; they are a reputable organization (in my opinion.)

... Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more. ~~Luke 12:48 ESV

Most Christians in the United States have been given much, and much will be required of us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is being poor not having Nike shoes or not having shoes at all?

Thanks for convicting me again--this is something God is really hitting me with--and I don't have a lot of answers--except I'm just spoiled.

Anonymous said...

Brother Larry we could all sit and worry if we are giving according to God's will, and we would never come up with the answer. I am not saying I have it figured out but this is how I do it. I start with my family and help them all I can. Then I give what I can afford to the Church and hope it will be given according to God's will, I drop into every bucket I can afford to and still get home. then I lay down that night and pray I can do more the next week. I believe if God wants me to give more he will give me more to give.
If blessed with love for God and your fellow man you will give enough.

Anonymous said...

JB,
better... is being poor not being able to see that other have no shoes while I have too many?

JV,
Jesus said blessed are those poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

To me that means we realize on the spiritual level that we have nothing to give God, the trouble is in a affluent society we do not grasp this. We see that in the physical we have no need, so that must be true in the spirit. I think that is why it is harder for the rich to enter. I friend of mine wrote a how he tried to explain why someone who had little to give was more generous than one who had much.

He tried to explain to this friend who had given $20,000 toward hos ministry, yet the man could not grasp that someone with less, who gave much less than that could be more generous.After all he just wrote a check for $20,000.....

When much is given much is expected.. scary to think, that maybe I too am one of the ones who are not poor enough in spirit.

Blessings,
iggy