Mar 12, 2007

Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two
"wolves" inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:
"Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry, old Indian folklore makes one wonder if Israel was the only place Jesus visited don't it? does me anyway.

JP said...

What an excellent story, thanks for sharing Larry.

Larry said...

Laymond...
Many of the old chiefs spoke some of the wisest words ever recorded.

If you ever get a chance read; "Touch The Earth" compiled by T. C. McLuhan, it contains the wisdom of the American Indian, especially in dealing with the so-called treaties.

Larry said...

JP...
I received this story from an email my cousin passed on to me...thought it was pretty neat, glad you liked it too!

Anonymous said...

Love the story.

I loved reading those kind of stories to my cub scouts and talking about my heritage. This story really rings true.

Larry said...

Milly...
I'm fortunate to have some wonderful Indian blood traveling through my veins too!

Thanks for dropping by...